Last Updated on October 25, 2023 by Dr Sharon Baisil MD
Ever stared at the phrase “To whom it may concern” for what feels like hours, thinking if there’s a better way to kick off your cover letter? Good news – there is! You’re not the only one who’s been in this conundrum. And guess what? Recruiters are equally tired of reading that salutation over and over. Imagine their delight when they come across a cover letter that’s a bit more… let’s say, spiced up?
You’ve got their attention!
The cover letter is your first chance to make an impression. It’s like the appetizer before the main course (your resume). Think about it – would you order the same appetizer every time you go out? Probably not. So, why serve the same bland introduction to recruiters?
Recruiters scan hundreds, if not thousands, of cover letters every week. With the rise of platforms like LinkedIn and job application portals, it’s easier than ever for job seekers to apply, which means recruiters have an even bigger pile to sift through. So, how do you ensure your cover letter stands out from the pile?
Opportunities don’t often come along. So, when they do, you have to grab them.”Audrey Hepburn
A strong opening paragraph acts like a magnet. It pulls the recruiter into your world, making them eager to learn more about your skills, experiences, and what you can bring to the table. It’s like a movie trailer. If the trailer doesn’t capture your interest, would you watch the whole film?
Now, here’s a thought: what about starting with a joke or a touch of humor? Some of you might be thinking, “Is that even professional?” But, humor can be an incredible tool, especially when it’s relevant. Platforms like HubSpot have entire blogs dedicated to marketing with humor. Why? Because it works.
“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”Confucius
If done right, humor can make your cover letter memorable. Think about it. Which do you remember more – a post on social media that made you laugh or the one that was just… there? But, it’s a delicate balance. You want the recruiter to chuckle, not roll their eyes.
Every company has its unique DNA – its beliefs, its culture, its goals. Your cover letter should reflect that you understand and resonate with that DNA. It’s not just about your skills or what’s written on your resume. It’s about how those skills align with the company’s vision and job description.
“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”Albert Einstein
For instance, if you’re applying for a role in digital marketing, you might want to mention how you increased revenue using A/B testing. Or if you’re aiming for a position at a software firm that specializes in VR (virtual reality), slip in how you’ve mastered using the headset or have ideas to revolutionize the VR experience.
When it comes to your cover letter, personalization isn’t just a buzzword. It’s the secret sauce that can set you apart. You see, the world is shifting towards personalization. From personalized medicine to CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software that curates experiences based on user behavior, it’s evident that personalization is the future.
- “Having been an avid reader of [Company]’s blog for the past year, I was thrilled to see an opening in the [Job Title] role.”
- “Your recent post on LinkedIn about [Specific Company Achievement] resonated with me, and here’s why.”
- “After using your software for the past two years, I couldn’t resist applying when I saw the job posting.”
- “The way [Company] has revolutionized the market reminds me of a bit of magic, and I’d love to be part of this wizardry.”
- “As someone who increased revenue by 20% through innovative digital marketing strategies last year, I was excited to see a role at [Company] that aligns with my expertise.”
- “My knack for [Specific Skill] isn’t just a line on my resume. Let me explain.”
- “Having led a team that boosted our social media marketing engagement by 50%, I’m eager to bring this energy to [Company].”
- “CRM software? I’m not just familiar; I’ve trained teams on maximizing its potential.”
Taking the road less traveled can sometimes lead to the most beautiful destinations. The same goes for your cover letter. Stepping out of the box while keeping it relevant can be a game-changer.
- “Why did the marketer get off the trampoline? He was tired of the ups and downs. Speaking of marketing, let me tell you how I can elevate [Company]’s strategies.”
- “If job applications were a game, I’d be leveling up with this cover letter. Ready for the adventure?”
- “Ever wondered what Harry Potter and I have in common? Magic. The only difference is, mine is in [Specific Skill].”
- “Let’s address the elephant in the room. No, I’m not talking about my last job where I worked in a zoo. I’m referring to why I’m the perfect fit for [Company].”
- “In a world where virtual reality is blurring the lines between the digital and real, I believe I can bring a fresh perspective to [Company]’s VR endeavors.”
- “Much like how the world is rapidly embracing A/B testing to optimize results, I too am always testing, learning, and iterating.”
Engaging with someone’s emotions can be a powerful tool. It’s the reason some advertisements leave us teary-eyed or why certain posts on social media tug at our heartstrings.
- “Driven by a belief that [Company Mission], I’ve dedicated my career to aligning with this very principle.”
- “In a world where [Relevant Issue], I’ve found solace in [Specific Skill or Role].”
- “My passion for [Job Role] isn’t just professional; it’s deeply personal. Here’s why.”
- “The story of [Company]’s commitment to [Cause] struck a chord with me, and here’s the verse I’d like to add.”
- “Turning challenges into opportunities has been my mantra, and I’d love to bring this spirit to [Company].”
- “Where some see obstacles, I see puzzles waiting to be solved. Keen to solve the next one at [Company]?”
- “My journey hasn’t been a straight path, but every twist and turn has equipped me for [Job Role at Company].”
Sometimes, drawing parallels can paint a clearer picture. It’s why we often hear teachers use analogies in education or why metaphors are powerful in literature.
- “If problem-solving were an art, consider me Picasso.”
- “Navigating the world of [Industry] is a lot like sailing. It’s not about the wind, but how you set the sails.”
- “In the orchestra of [Job Role], I’ve fine-tuned my skills to be the first-chair violinist.”
- “Like a chef perfecting a recipe, I’ve honed my [Specific Skill] to craft the best results.”
- “I’ve read interviews where you, [Recruiter’s Name], mentioned [Company]’s vision. Here’s how I align with it.”
- “Your post on social media about [Topic] got me thinking, and I believe I have a fresh take for [Company].”
- “Having followed [Company] on LinkedIn, your recent achievements stood out, and I’m eager to contribute to future successes.”
There’s something to be said about taking risks. Sometimes, the most unexpected openers can leave a lasting impression.
- “While I don’t come with a cape, my superpower in [Specific Skill] might be just what [Company] needs.”
- “I promise this isn’t just another cover letter. It’s an invitation to a conversation about [Topic/Role].”
- “Instead of telling you why I’m perfect for [Company], let me show you.”
- “Confession: I’ve been a [Company] superfan for years. Now, I’m ready to switch from the stands to the field.”
Show, Don’t Tell: Openers That Demonstrate Value
It’s one thing to say you’re good at something. It’s another to prove it. These openers help you put your best foot forward right from the get-go.
- “Under my leadership, our sales team managed to exceed quarterly targets by 30%. I’m ready to bring this momentum to [Company].”
- “Having revamped our social media marketing strategies, our public image saw a 50% positive spike in just six months.”
- “In my previous role, I was instrumental in integrating CRM software, which streamlined our customer relationship management and boosted revenue by 40%.”
- “Education isn’t just about degrees. Here’s a real-world problem I solved at my last job that demonstrates my expertise.”
- “While my resume speaks of my technical prowess, it’s my knack for team dynamics and collaboration that I’m most proud of.”
- “Problem-solving isn’t just a skill I’ve listed on my résumé. It’s a mindset I bring to every challenge.”
- “Communication is the bridge between confusion and clarity. Here’s how I’ve played the role of that bridge in my past roles.”
In a world dominated by digital transformation, flaunting your tech-savviness can be a game-changer, especially for roles that demand it.
- “In the realm of virtual reality, I see endless possibilities. I’ve got a VR headset and a vision – ready to explore the future with [Company]?”
- “Diving deep into A/B testing and analytics, I’ve uncovered insights that have been game-changers for my previous employers.”
- “Much like how personalized medicine is transforming healthcare, I believe in a personalized approach to [Job Role].”
- “Having mastered several CRM software tools, I’m ready to dive into [Company]’s digital world and make waves.”
Not every opener needs to be wrapped in metaphors or humor. Sometimes, a straightforward approach can be just as effective.
- “I’m excited about the [Job Role] position at [Company] and here’s why.”
- “My experience in [Specific Skill or Role] aligns perfectly with what [Company] is looking for.”
- “I believe I can add significant value to [Company]’s [Specific Department/Team]. Let’s dive into the specifics.”
A well-told story can be a compelling opener, especially if it encapsulates your drive, passion, or reason for applying.
- “It all started with a single project in college, and today, I find myself deeply passionate about [Specific Skill/Role].”
- “Once, during a challenging phase at work, my team and I tackled a problem that seemed insurmountable. That experience is why I’m so excited about [Company].”
- “Growing up, I always loved [Relevant Activity/Subject]. It’s no wonder I’ve built a career around it, and now, I see [Company] as the next chapter in this journey.”
- “Every role I’ve taken has been a stepping stone, teaching me something new. I’m eager to bring this accumulated knowledge to [Company].”
- “In the ever-evolving world of [Industry], I pride myself on being a lifelong learner. Here’s how I’ve grown over the years.”
- “From my first internship to my most recent leadership role, there’s been one constant: my commitment to [Specific Value/Principle].”
For roles that require creativity, an opener that showcases your inventive spirit can make a difference.
- “If [Company] were a color, it’d be a vibrant shade of [Color], reflecting its energy and innovation. Here’s how I’d blend in.”
- “Imagine a world where [Hypothetical Scenario Relevant to Job Role]. With my skills, I believe we can make this a reality at [Company].”
- “In the tapestry of [Industry], each thread tells a story. I’m eager to weave my narrative into [Company]’s larger picture.”
For roles in analytics, finance, or any domain where numbers speak louder than words, a quantifiable opener can be impactful.
- “Boosting sales by 25%, optimizing workflows by 40%, and cutting costs by 15%. These aren’t just numbers; they’re stories of my impact, ready to be replicated at [Company].”
- “In the last year, I’ve led a team that has outperformed market benchmarks by 20%. Curious about how? Let’s dive in.”
- “Data doesn’t lie, and my track record showcases a consistent story of growth, optimization, and innovation.”
For roles that require a global perspective or multicultural awareness, an opener that showcases your international exposure can set the tone.
- “Navigating diverse markets from Asia to Europe, I’ve garnered insights that I believe can drive [Company]’s global strategy.”
- “In today’s interconnected world, I’ve had the privilege of collaborating with teams across continents, bringing a truly global perspective to my work.”
- “From understanding cultural nuances in marketing campaigns to adapting strategies for different regions, I’m ready to bring a world of experience to [Company].”
In an age dominated by technology, flaunting your tech skills can be a surefire way to grab attention.
- “While many fear the rise of AI, I embrace it. Let me show you how I’ve used AI to revolutionize processes in my previous roles.”
- “In a world that’s shifting towards virtual reality, I’m not just a spectator; I’m an active player, ready to bring my VR insights to [Company].”
- “From cloud computing to blockchain, my journey in tech has been exhilarating. Ready to embark on the next chapter with [Company]?”
In a world that’s becoming more environmentally conscious, showing off your green thumb can be a plus.
- “In a world striving for sustainability, I’ve championed green initiatives that have not only helped the planet but also boosted company reputation.”
- “They say green is the new gold. Here’s how I’ve integrated sustainable practices in my previous roles, and how I plan to do so at [Company].”
Being a disruptor can be a good thing, especially if you’re in an industry that values innovation.
- “While many stick to the playbook, I believe in rewriting it. Curious? Let’s dive into some of my disruptive strategies.”
- “Change is the only constant, and in my career, I’ve not just adapted to change; I’ve been the catalyst for it.”
There’s no ‘I’ in ‘Team’. If you’re someone who thrives in collaborative environments, these openers are for you.
- “Behind every successful project I’ve led is a team that’s worked in perfect harmony. Ready to compose the next symphony with [Company]?”
- “Building bridges and fostering collaboration isn’t just a skill; it’s a passion. Keen to see how teamwork makes the dream work?”
If you’re someone who’s always seeking to learn and grow, these openers can reflect your mindset.
- “Every day is a school day, and I’m always eager to learn. Here’s how my learning mindset has benefited my employers.”
- “In the ever-evolving landscape of [Industry], I pride myself on being two steps ahead, always learning, always innovating.”
In today’s digital age, having a strong online presence and understanding the intricacies of digital marketing can give you a significant edge.
- “Diving into the depths of digital marketing, I’ve leveraged social media marketing to boost public image and drive sales like never before.”
- “From crafting engaging blog posts to mastering the algorithms of social media platforms, I’m ready to bring my digital arsenal to [Company].”
- “Having executed successful A/B testing campaigns that directly impacted revenue, I’m eager to dive into [Company]’s digital challenges.”
With platforms like LinkedIn revolutionizing the way we connect professionally, flaunting your networking prowess can be a game-changer.
- “I came across [Company]’s recent achievements on LinkedIn and was instantly drawn to the innovation and spirit showcased. I’m eager to be a part of this journey.”
- “Your recruiter’s post on LinkedIn about [Specific Topic] resonated deeply with me, and it got me thinking about how my skills could be a perfect fit for [Company].”
- “Networking isn’t just about connecting on social media; it’s about forging genuine relationships. And my relationship with [Industry/Role] has only grown over the years.”
Technology is transforming industries, and showcasing your tech skills can set you apart.
- “From harnessing the power of VR to innovating with the latest software tools, I’ve always been on the cutting edge. Ready to bring this tech-savviness to [Company]?”
- “My experience with CRM software goes beyond just using it; I’ve been instrumental in integrating and optimizing it for past employers, yielding tangible results.”
- “The future is virtual. With my hands-on experience with VR headsets and the virtual realm, I’m excited to explore what the virtual reality space holds at [Company].”
If you’re someone who thrives on challenges and puzzles, these openers can resonate with your problem-solving spirit.
- “Faced with challenges, I don’t see roadblocks; I see puzzles waiting to be solved. Ready to tackle the next big challenge with [Company]?”
- “My education didn’t just equip me with knowledge; it instilled in me a passion for problem-solving, a trait I’ve carried into every job role.”
- “Every job application I send is backed by a belief that I can make a difference. At [Company], I see myriad opportunities to apply my problem-solving skills.”
Sales isn’t just about numbers; it’s about relationships, understanding needs, and finding solutions. These openers are for those who know the art of sealing the deal.
- “In the world of sales, every handshake, every conversation, and every pitch matters. Here’s how I’ve consistently outperformed my targets and how I plan to do the same at [Company].”
- “They say a good salesperson can sell ice to Eskimos. While I’ve never tried that, I’ve surely driven significant revenue growth in challenging markets. Curious to know how?”
- “Sales is not just a job for me; it’s a passion. And this passion has led me to break records and set new benchmarks. Ready to set some new records with [Company]?”
The world is constantly evolving, and so should we. These openers resonate with those who have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.
- “Every day presents an opportunity to learn something new. From mastering new software tools to attending workshops, I’m always on the lookout to expand my horizons.”
- “My education didn’t just end with my degree. I’ve consistently sought out new courses, certifications, and experiences to ensure I bring the best to the table.”
For those who always have an eye on the bigger picture and believe in the power of vision.
- “I don’t just see [Company] for what it is; I see it for what it could be. With my skills and vision, I’m excited about the possibilities we can explore together.”
- “In the grand tapestry of [Industry], I’ve always aimed to be more than just a thread. I aim to be a defining pattern. Excited to weave this vision into [Company]’s fabric.”
In today’s dynamic job market, reflecting modern trends and approaches can set you apart.
- “Navigating the modern job landscape has been an exhilarating journey. From understanding job descriptions to leveraging platforms like LinkedIn for networking, I’ve embraced the new age of hiring.”
- “In today’s digital age, I believe in merging traditional skills with modern tools. From using CRM software to enhance customer relationship management to leveraging digital marketing strategies, I’m the blend of old and new [Company] needs.”
For those who are not just looking for a job, but are truly passionate about the company and its mission.
- “Every time I read a blog post or see a marketing campaign from [Company], I’m reminded of why I want to be part of this team. Here’s what I bring to the table.”
- “I’ve not only used [Company]’s products, but I’ve also been an advocate for them in my professional circles. Now, I want to take that passion and turn it into impactful work at [Company].”
Innovation is the key to staying ahead in many industries. These openers are for those who dare to think differently.
- “While many are content following the rulebook, I believe in rewriting it. My innovative approach to [Specific Skill/Role] has yielded results before, and I’m excited to bring this mindset to [Company].”
- “In a world of templates and norms, I’ve always chosen the path less traveled, leading to breakthroughs and fresh perspectives. Eager to bring this innovative spirit to [Company].”
Building and nurturing relationships can be the key to success in many roles, from HR to sales.
- “Relationships are the backbone of any successful venture. Whether it’s with a team, a client, or a partner, I’ve always prioritized genuine connections. Here’s how I plan to foster these relationships at [Company].”
- “In my previous role, I was often lauded not just for my skills but for my ability to build and nurture relationships across departments. Ready to create those connections at [Company].”
- “They say beginnings are important, but so are endings. As I wrap up this cover letter, I want to leave you with one thought: With my skills, passion, and drive, I’m not just a fit for [Company]; I’m the missing piece to the puzzle.”
In the grand theater of job applications, your cover letter is your spotlight moment. It’s more than just a bridge to your resume; it’s a window into your passion, your drive, and your fit for the role. Whether you’re making a recruiter smile with a dash of humor or nod in agreement with your innovative insights, remember: every word counts. So, the next time you sit down to pen that letter, ditch the generic and embrace the genuine. After all, why blend in when you were born to stand out? Embrace these openers, tailor them to your story, and watch the magic unfold.
Hi, I am a doctor by profession, but I love writing and publishing ebooks. I have self-published 3 ebooks which have sold over 100,000 copies. I am featured in Healthline, Entrepreneur, and in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology blog.
Whether you’re a busy professional or an aspiring author with a day job, there’s no time like now to start publishing your ebook! If you are new to this world or if you are seeking help because your book isn’t selling as well as it should be – don’t worry! You can find here resources, tips, and tricks on what works best and what doesn’t work at all.
In this blog, I will help you to pick up the right tools and resources to make your ebook a best seller.