The costs of book publishing can be determined based on the word count, the production needed to cover artwork requirements, and marketing. The average costs of self-publishing a book are between $1,000 to $20,000, depending on your budget constraints. Professional writers collaborate with trained editors, proofreaders, and first-time authors who can write, publish and promote a book under $1,000. On the other hand, you can spend up to $20,000 on self publishing and book marketing. We will tell you all the details on how to take these prices into account for people who are budget conscious.
18 Tips to reduce publishing costs of your book
There are a few simple things that you can do to reduce your book publishing costs. By following these tips, you’ll be able to publish books on a budget without sacrificing quality or the price of services.
- Do your research to find out which self-publishing companies offer the best book publishing services for you. Ensure that all your requirements are met and compare different options before committing to one particular publisher or service provider.
- Learn how to get eBooks formatted without needing professional help by referring to eBook formatting guides available online.
- Know how to get your print book professionally designed by following these tips for self-publishing a book on a budget.
- Use free or affordable online tools, such as Google Docs and Dropbox, instead of buying expensive software like MS Word. This will help you save money without compromising the quality of your eBook formatting services.
- Avoid rush jobs because they tend to be more expensive than standard book publishing services.
- Be organized and leave time for proofreading, copy editing, and finalizing your eBook formatting so that you can avoid costly errors.
- When it comes to creating a professional print version of your newly self-published eBooks, choosing the right size will affect aspects such as how well images will fit on the page, how thick your book will be and what kind of paper you can use.
- Get quotes from three different printers to save money while ensuring that they can deliver the print book services you need. Make sure all quotes have similar prices for printing books in bulk so that you choose a company based on quality rather than price.
- Always use house stocks to print your books if you are publishing multiple copies because these paper stock options are cheaper than custom papers or recycled paper choices.
- If you’re printing a large number of books, then negotiate with the printer to get discounts on your book publishing costs.
- Organize yourself before beginning any new project so that you have everything ready and avoid costly errors.
- Choosing the right paper for an eBook or print book can be confusing because different types are better suited for specific tasks, such as printing pictures or designing your book cover.
- There are different types of paper to choose from, including recycled paper, which is eco-friendly and easier on the environment. However, if you want a better quality result, it’s advisable to customize publishing options.
- When choosing page size, be sure that interior text will fit correctly into margins so that you can avoid having to make any last-minute changes and additional costs.
- Be sure to check the file types that your chosen book publishing company will accept before submitting anything and save yourself time, stress, and money in the long run!
- If you’re planning on self-publishing many books, consider negotiating services prices with printers or other similar options to save money on publishing costs.
- Organize everything before beginning the self-publishing process so that there are no costly mistakes made at any production stage.
- Do not overboard with book design features, such as fancy paper, flaps, and other extras. These can increase the price of print book production services significantly.
- When choosing a printer, make sure you compare different options to find one that offers quality without costing too much money. Also, be conscious about how quickly they will deliver your books since rush jobs tend to cost more in most cases.
- When formatting eBooks or print books, try using free online tools, such as Google Docs and Dropbox, instead of investing in expensive software. These are easy-to-use alternatives that can simplify the process without costing too much money.
How much does book editing cost?
The cost of editing a book is highly variable. It costs $20 for an hour of work or $30 per hour if the professional editor works on your manuscript at night (after business hours). Some editors charge around $40/hour, while others can demand up to $50/hour depending on their experience and the quality that you require.
Copy editing fees are highly variable, but the below totals are the hourly salary of a professional editor for a 35k-word manuscript.
- Low quality: $390 ($20 hour)
- Acceptable: $450 ($30 hour)
- Great quality: $600 ($40)
- Best Possible: $750 ($50 hour)
How much does book formatting cost?
A self-publishing book formatting company can help you create an ebook or print out your manuscript. The formatting costs typically range between $60 to $200, although the total will vary depending on how many illustrations are included in the self publishing process.
Websites like Fiverr provide independent professionals who charge affordable prices to format self publishing books. You can expect to pay around $50 for a book formatting service on Fiverr.
However, book publishing companies have professional editors and cover designers who work as part of the package, so you do not need to hire separate self publishing services or an editor.
Vellum self publishing
Vellum self-publishing is a service that can help you turn your .doc/.odt file into an ePub and Mobi (for Kindles). It can also generate self publishing book files for print. You do not need to hire another self-publishing company or editor because their services come with the package.
Vellum self publishing costs $68 for a 35k word manuscript (for ebook and print). For example, if you want to turn an 80K .doc into two different formats, then it will cost $128 or $99.
Scrivener self publishing
Scrivener self-publishing is a service that can help you turn your manuscript into print, ePub, and MOBI formats for Kindles. Their prices are highly variable depending on the self publishing package that you want to purchase. The costs of self publishing with Scrivener range from $45 to $215.
Adobe InDesign self publishing costs
A self-publishing book design service can help you create an ePub and MOBI for Kindle. If your manuscript is in .doc/.odt, it will need to be converted into a printable format before being professionally designed self publishing companies or self-publisher services are not required.
Adobe InDesign publishing costs $150 for a book design with 100 pages ($15 per page). If you have more than 300 words in your self publishing project, then the cost will be self-publisher services are not required.
How much does a book cover designer cost?
The cover of your book is the first thing that potential readers will see. A professional cover design can help you attract more attention for self-publishing projects, so it’s worth investing between $50 to $300 on a print cover. There are also some websites where you can have book covers created very cheaply, but these designs may not be professional.
Pricing for cover designs typically starts at around $50, but you can pay up to several hundred dollars if the book covers need illustrations or more complex design features.
A professional book cover designer usually charges between $35 and $100 per hour, depending on your requirements. Fiverr cover designers are more affordable, as they charge only around $20 for print cover designs.
How much does it cost to publish a book?
Self publishing companies can help you turn your manuscript into Kindle, ePub, and print books. Kindle conversion costs are usually between $0.05 to $0.30 per word, depending on the self-publishing package that you want to purchase from a book publishing company or printing press.
However, if you are doing it by yourself, Kindle conversion costs can be around $0.12 per word, depending on the self-publishing package you want to purchase from a book publishing company or printing press.
Printing your book is affordable because most digital print shops offer short-run printing services with extremely competitive rates. The cost of print books will depend on how many books you need and the size of your book.
How much does it cost to promote a book?
The cost of promoting a book can vary depending on how much you want to invest in self-publishing. It’s possible to promote your Kindle or print books without spending any money, but it will take longer for success, and the results won’t be as good.
If you have a small budget, you can use free Kindle promotion services such as Kindle Direct Publishing to get your book in front of more potential readers. However, if you have a larger budget, several paid Kindle promotion methods can help you reach more people and increase your book’s exposure.
The cost of promoting books through other channels such as Facebook ads or Google AdWords is around $0.75 per click.
Self-publishing companies provide marketing services to help you promote Kindle books. These paid book promotion campaigns can cost between $20 and $100 or up to several hundred dollars if your Kindle market is competitive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it worth it to self publish a book?
Answer: Yes, self-publishing allows you to take control of how much profit goes home with you. Successful authors often sell each copy for $10 and split their profit with Amazon’s KDP at 50%-70%, but many successful writers have found that going the Kindle Direct Publishing route isn’t bad either.
If you go through a publishing company, you will only keep out 10% in royalties-whether the book sells well or not.
What is the cheapest way to publish a book?
Answer: Publishing an ebook is the cheapest way to publish a book. There are websites such as BookBaby and Notion Press that offer affordable rates. You don’t need to purchase any ISBNs (International Standard Book Numbers) or any other expensive items to set up your account with them.
What is the best paper to use for a book cover?
Answer: There are many types of papers that you can choose from when designing your book covers, including glossy and matte finishes. However, suppose you want to have an elegant option. In that case, it’s recommended to go with laminated silk covers instead since they look professional and provide more durability compared to other papers.
What is the best ebook format to use?
Answer: There are different types of eBooks formats that you can choose from, including MobiPocket (MOBI), EPUB, and PDF files which offer compatibility with most devices. However, if your eBook needs to be compatible with Apple products, then it’s advisable to go for an EPUB file instead.
How can I publish a book without ISBN?
Answer: Many self-publishing companies don’t require you to have your ISBNs to distribute your books, but if you want the highest quality results, then it’s recommended that you purchase them separately. The cheapest way is usually to get them from Bowker and follow the instructions they provide.
What is the best ebook publishing platform?
Answer: If you want to publish eBooks, you should go with Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) since they offer a wide range of features and benefits, such as worldwide distribution options. However, if your books need to be distributed outside North America’s most popular marketplace, then you can use Draft or IngramSpark for this purpose.
How much does it cost to publish a book for the first time?
Answer: Publishing a book for the first time costs between $25 and $500.
Answer: Self-publishing is feasible, but it’s less expensive to hire an independent editor or publisher instead of self-publishing. On average, many editors charge between $1-$2 per page, so to edit 140 pages would cost around $200 – $400. Of course, to publish 140 pages with an online printer ranges in total costs from about $700 to over 10 thousand dollars depending on paper quality and binding options.
Can you publish a book for free?
Answer: Yes, you can publish a book for free with companies such as Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and Draft, which allow you to sell your eBooks online.
How much does a first time author make?
Answer: The average first time author makes about $3000 per book, but this is very rare and most likely won’t happen often.
How do I get my self published books into physical stores?
Answer: You can order your own copies of the print version from a publishing company such as CreateSpace or Lulu and sell them at physical bookstores.
How much does Amazon charge to publish a book?
Answer: Amazon doesn’t charge for book publishing; you simply collect a commission on each sale.
It’s currently 9-35% per sale, depending on the format of your publishing agreement. For example, if your total price is $10 and you use KDP print with no author discount, Amazon collects 30%.
Alternatively, suppose you are self-published via Createspace or IngramSpark. In that case, Amazon charges an up-front fee to upload your manuscript and offers distribution throughout the world’s largest distribution channels without charging any more fees after that.
Hi, I am a doctor by profession, but I love writing and publishing ebooks. I have self-published 3 ebooks which have sold over 100,000 copies. I am featured in Healthline, Entrepreneur, and in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology blog.
Whether you’re a busy professional or an aspiring author with a day job, there’s no time like now to start publishing your ebook! If you are new to this world or if you are seeking help because your book isn’t selling as well as it should be – don’t worry! You can find here resources, tips, and tricks on what works best and what doesn’t work at all.
In this blog, I will help you to pick up the right tools and resources to make your ebook a best seller.